Players to watch, all formats:
1) Morgan Reilly, Toronto: He’s been playing at nearly a point per game clip to start the season and should probably be owned in more than 67% of leagues.
2) James Reimer, Florida: With Luongo injured and Reimer only being owned in 25% in leagues, he’s a decent target if you have limited options.
3) Clayton Keller, Phoenix: He’s got 8 PTS in 8 GP and is playing a ton of minutes in Phoenix. He’s only owned in 36% of Yahoo leagues. It may be years before we ever see his ownership % this low again.
4) Mikhail Sergachev, Tampa: His ice time has been very low to start the season, but he suddenly has 6 PTS in his last 3 GP and is at 42% ownership.
5) Derek Brassard, Ottawa: He’s got 10 PTS in 8 GP to start the season and is only owned in 36% of leagues.
Going Deep, players to add in deeper leagues:
1) Oscar Dansk, Vegas: With both Subban and Fleury on IR, somebody has to play games for this 6-1 team. I’m not sure he’ll be any good, but there are many deep leagues where people just need goalies playing games and right now this guy is next in line for the #1 job.
2) Reilly Smith, Vegas: He’s got 7 PTS in 2 weeks and is only 9% owned. He is playing a ton of minutes right now and is worth a shot in a deep league.
3) Andreas Athanasiou, Detroit: He’s only owned in 3% of leagues and has resolved his contract stalemate with the Wings. He proved last year that he can score goals.
4) Oscar Fantenberg, LA: His ice time is a bit low, but he’s put up a point in 4 consecutive games. At 1% ownership he’s worth keeping an eye on.
5) Mike Cammalleri, LA: He’s got 5 PTS in his last 2 GP and is only owned in 2% of leagues. That ownership needs to be higher.
1) Devan Dubnyk, Minnesota: Through 4 games he has a 3.80 GAA and .888 SV%. He’s still at 95% ownership in Yahoo and should not be dropped. However, his owner might be getting nervous and looking to make a deal.
2) Sebastein Aho, Carolina: He’s being dropped in several leagues and is a borderline player in standard formats. His 72% ownership in Yahoo is too high for his production, but he’s a good trade target in deeper leagues.
3) Mitch Marner, Toronto: I’m not sure anyone playing on the 4th line should be 95% owned. However, if you are a Leafs fan, his acquisition value may never be better than it is right now. You may be able to get him at a discount.
4) Justin Faulk, Carolina: He’s got 2 PTS in 6 GP and 85% ownership. He should not be hard to pick up in a trade and has good offensive upside.
5) Matt Dumba, Minnesota: It’s been a slow start for Dumba with just 2 assists in 6 GP. He’s still 53% owned. I would not target him in a standard league, but in deeper formats shouldn't be hard to acquire in a trade.
1) Roberto Luongo, Florida: He was having a bad start to the season before he was injured. If he’s your #1 goalie you might want to start exploring other options.
2) Antti Niemi, Pittsburgh: Somehow this guy is owned in 6% of leagues and that number should be exactly zero. He’s no longer good enough to play in the NHL.
3) Jason Spezza, Dallas: He hasn’t scored any PTS for 4 straight games and now has 3 PTS in 8 GP on the season. He’s 34 years old and age may finally be starting to catch up with him.
4) Max Pacioretty, Montreal: I debated whether he belonged on the “buy low” or “be concerned” list. 1 goal, 0 assists in 8 GP is not what you’ve come to expect from a perennial 30 goal scorer. Him and Marner are the 2 most traded players today.
5) Rick Nash, Rangers: Through 9 games he’s got just 1 point. He’s getting tons of ice time and shots but it’s not translating into points.