This is my week ten fantasy hockey report for those competing in head to head categories or rotisserie leagues. There are both standard and deep league acquisition targets. This is more of a “waiver wire” report, looking for those who are more likely to be available in your league as opposed to the universally owned players. I also do not recommend any players who play 2 games or less over the next 7 days (Monday to Sunday), with a preference for those with 4 or more games.
Best Standard League Adds (20% to 60% Yahoo ownership):
1) Gustav Nyquist, W, Detroit, (39% Yahoo ownership): Nyquist has been red hot lately, scoring 11 PTS in his last 8 GP and it just so happens the Red Wings have a great schedule next week. We’ll see how long this hot streak can last but in the short-term at least he’s a fantastic streaming option.
2) Dustin Brown, W, LA, (40% Yahoo ownership): While the King's season can most aptly be described as embarrassing, Brown is still doing his thing. His 15 PTS in 19 GP would translates to about 64 PTS over a full schedule and he scored 61 PTS last season. He continues to put up elite shot and hit totals. Count me among the people who thought his scoring from last season was unsustainable, but so far it has been sustained and the Kings play 4 games next week.
3) Mike Green, D, Detroit, (49% Yahoo ownership): If you need a defenseman and Mike Green is still on your waiver, there aren’t many better choices next week. The veteran has scored 13 PTS in his last 15 GP and faces some weak defensive teams. Even at age 33, Green can still create offense. That scoring rate should slow down as the season carries on. Great streamer next week though.
4) Jimmy Howard, G, Detroit, (51% Yahoo ownership): Jimmy is not a guy I want to own for an entire season, because he runs hot and cold with the best and worst of them. Lately he’s been mostly good and the Red Wings play 4 this week. Over his last 9 GP, Jimmy sports a 2.57 GAA and .924 SV % with 5 wins.
5) Nick Schmaltz, W, Arizona, (20% Yahoo ownership): Schmaltz has been productive since arriving in Phoenix playing with Galchenyuk and Keller, scoring 8 PTS in his last 8 GP. The Coyotes play 4 games this week and Schmaltz has dual position eligibility in Yahoo. Good streaming option, even in standard leagues.
Last Week: Reilly Smith, Mikko Koskinen, Shea Theodore, Tyler Johnson, Alex Tuch
Best Deep League Adds (under 15% ownership):
1) Bryan Little, C, Winnipeg, (12% Yahoo ownership): Little has only scored 1 point in his last 6 games while Laine has gone on a mini cold streak. The Jets do have a fantastic schedule next week, so Little is a very tempting streaming option. Despite the recent cold streak, he still has 10 PTS in his last 14 GP.
2) Tyler Bertuzzi, W, Detroit, (8% Yahoo ownership): As stated earlier, the Wings have a nice schedule and Tuzzi has scored 7 PTS in his last 9 GP. The time on ice has not been very consistent over that span, ranging from 12:58 to 18:21. He’s had 1 shot or less in 7 of his last 10 GP. At the very least he’s a good short-term play in deep leagues.
3) Alec Martinez, D, LA, (11% Yahoo ownership): The Kings play 4 games next week and Martinez has scored 4 PTS in his last 7 GP. Martinez also puts up elite block totals, but if you’re in a deep league which counts that category, he’s probably already owned.
4) Anthony Stolarz, G, Philadelphia, (4% Yahoo ownership): Stolarz has played in 4 consecutive games for the Flyers and has put up quasi respectable numbers with a 2.94 GAA and .907 SV %. There is not a better option available in more leagues. If you are desperate for starts in a deep league, add this guy for so long as he’s holding down that #1 starters position.
5) Andreas Johnsson, W, Toronto, (6% Yahoo ownership): Johnsson was high on the Hockey News sleeper list heading into the season and stumbled coming out of the gate. Now suddenly he has scored 10 PTS in his last 7 GP, tied with Auston Matthews for 2nd in Leaf scoring over that time. There are a few too many mouths to feed on the Leafs forward lines right now, but it's hard not to reward a guy putting up these numbers.
Last Week: Alex Chiasson, Drake Batherson, TJ Brodie, Colin White, Adin Hill
The 1% (best adds 1% owned or less):
1) Christian Fischer, W, Arizona: Fischer scored 2 PTS in 13 November games, and already has that many in 4 December games. At age 21 there is plenty of long-term upside with this kid. In the short-term at least, the Coyotes play 4 games next week.
2) Lucas Wallmark, C, Carolina: The Hurricanes play 4 games next week and Wallmark has scored 6 PTS in his last 8 GP (albeit just 1 in his last 5). Decent streaming option for the deepest leagues who can also help your hit totals.
3) Adrian Kempe, C, LA: After a very slow start to the season, Kempe has picked up the scoring lately, scoring 3 in his last 4 GP. He’s available in 99% of leagues and the Kings play 4 games next week.
Last Week: Mark Jankowski, Erik Cernak, Gavin Bayreuther
Safe to drop in Standard Leagues:
1) Wayne Simmonds, Philly: There are signs that the power forward has started his decline now that he’s over 30 years old. Simmonds has been a fantasy stud for years, but is no longer a must own in shallower leagues.
2) Justin Faulk, Carolina: The defenseman is still owned in 58% of Yahoo leagues despite only putting 1 point in his last 12 GP. You are still getting good shot and hit numbers from him and the Hurricanes do play 4 games this week. But his days as a must own player are probably behind him.
Last Week: James Van Riemsdyk, Will Butcher