Players to watch, all formats:
1) Brock Boeser, Vancouver, (35% Yahoo ownership): He scored a hat trick against Pittsburgh yesterday. If there are any Canucks fans in your league, he’s probably already owned.
2) Mikko Rantanen, Colorado, (34% Yahoo ownership): He’s up to 12 PTS on the season, including 5 in his last 4 GP. The kid can score. A must add in dynasty leagues, worth considering in standard leagues. Lots of upside here.
3) Anders Lee, Islanders, (70% Yahoo ownership): I added him this week in a standard league. He’s got 13 PTS in his last 8 GP.
4) Brendan Gallagher, Montreal (50% Yahoo ownership): He’s been on fire with 8 PTS in the last 2 weeks. I’m not sure how long that scoring rate will continue, but he’s a guy to ride while the going is good.
5) Jacob Markstrom, Vancouver, (35% Yahoo ownership): I’m not 100% sold on his viability as a long term #1 starter, but he has been playing very well for his last few games, and for the time being is a decent #2 fantasy option.
Going Deep: players to add in deeper leagues:
1) Mathew Barzal, Islanders, (9% Yahoo ownership): He’s got 10 PTS in his last 5 GP. He’s worth considering even in standard leagues. That ownership should hit 30% at least by the end of the week.
2) Yanni Gourde, Tampa, (4% Yahoo ownership): He’s got 5 PTS in his last 5 GP and was a darkhorse contender for Rookie of the Year by somebody at the Hockey News.
3) Lars Eller, Washington, (2% Yahoo ownership): 6 PTS in his last 4 GP is good for a guy that’s 2% owned. He’s a good target in deep leagues. He’ll eventually go cold again, but ride the wave while it lasts. Not worth considering in standard leagues yet.
4) Tomas Plekanec, Montreal, (3% Yahoo ownership): It was a brutal start to the season but he’s got 4 PTS in his last 4 GP. Worth a shot in deep leagues.
5) Kari Lehtonen, Dallas, (6% Yahoo ownership): Not someone I expected to be adding to the watch list today, but Bishop has been struggling lately and over his last 3 starts Lehtonen is 2-1 with a 1.17 GAA and .959 SV%. Perhaps not a viable long-term option, but he’s the best performing goaltender who is widely available in deep leagues. Worth a shot if you need a few extra starts.
1) Rick Nash, Rangers, (41% Yahoo ownership): He’s got 5 PTS in his last 4 GP. If you can find a buyer to take him off your hands, now might be the best time to move him.
2) Mike Smith, Calgary, (88% Yahoo ownership): He’s been sensational early this season but I do not expect him to finish with a 2.21 GAA and .933 SV%. There is some regression to the mean coming in the future, especially with the workload he’s getting.
3) Vincent Trochek, Florida, (61% Yahoo ownership): It won’t hurt you to keep Vinny, but he’s got 8 PTS in his last 5 GP and could be used as trade bait to get a better player who’s been slumping.
4) Steven Stamkos, Tamps, (100% Yahoo ownership): He’s been one of the best players in the NHL this season, so Stamkos is due for his annual freak injury/illness. If you’ve been holding him in a keeper league this might be the best time to sell.
5) Max Pacioretty, Montreal, (95% Yahoo ownership): After a terrible start to the season, Maximus has 7 PTS in his last 7 GP. If you were looking to sell, 2 weeks ago was a bad time. You’ll get a better return now.
1) Fredrick Andersen, Toronto, (91% Yahoo ownership): He’s been struggling lately with a 3.56 GAA and .898 SV% over the last 2 weeks. He should eventually get better, so now might be the time to buy low.
2) Patrick Laine, Winnipeg, (99% Yahoo ownership): He went 4 games without scoring a point and complained to the media that hockey has gotten hard. He’s scored in 2 consecutive games since that admission. He’s off to a bit of a slow start and you may be able to get him from an owner expecting bigger things.
3) Richard Panik, Chicago, (62% Yahoo ownership): He’s gone pointless in 7 games and his owner is probably starting to panic. Probably not worth owning in a standard league, but you may be able to pick him up cheap in a deeper league.
4) Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh, (100% Yahoo ownership): He’s only got 3 PTS in his last 8 GP. If ever there was a good time to make an offer for Sidney Crosby, it’s right now. At some point in the near future he’ll catch fire again.
5) Nicklas Backstrom, Washington, (99% Yahoo ownership): With 1 point in his last 7 games, his trade value might never be cheaper than it is right now. He’ll bounce back soon enough, but in the meantime, pitch an offer and see what happens.
1) Brent Seabrook, Chicago, (74% Yahoo ownership): He’s gone pointless in 6 straight games and is owned in far too many leagues. If you own Seabrook, in almost any league, there’s a better guy on the waiver wire.
2) Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit, (69% Yahoo ownership): 2 PTS in his last 7 GP, he can be safely dropped in all standard leagues.
3) Nikita Zaitsev, Toronto, (55% Yahoo ownership): He’s got 1 point in his last 11 GP and is owned in too many leagues. Granted if you do own him you're probably a Leafs fan and won't listen to this advice.
4) John Gibson, Anaheim, (95% Yahoo ownership): In his last 4 starts he’s 1-3 with 14 GA. All this after Ryan Miller has come off IR and is playing good. If Gibson continues to have some struggles, he’ll have a short leash with the veteran back-up.
5) Brian Elliott, Philly, (68% Yahoo ownership): He’s been one of the worst performing goalies over 60% ownership, with 14 GA in his last 4 games. His season GAA is 3.11 with an .892 SV%. If he’s the #1 goalie on your team, it’s not looking good.