Players to watch, all formats:
1) Alex DeBrincat, Chicago, (38% Yahoo ownership): The kid can score, and the Blackhawks need scoring. He’s got 8 PTS in his last 7 GP and has the opportunity to see ice time with Patrick Kane. Over the last 14 days he’s in the top 20 in NHL scoring.
2) Tyler Johnson, Tampa, (29% Yahoo ownership): After a terrible start to the season, they’ve been playing Johnson with Stamkos and it’s resulted in 7 PTS in 4 GP. Worth a gamble while he’s on the top line.
3) Mats Zuccarello, Rangers, (62% Yahoo ownership): If you’re looking for a reliable veteran to add in a standard league, this guy is on the list. He’s scored 13 PTS in his last 12 GP and should be more than 62% owned.
4) Keith Yandle, Florida, (70% Yahoo ownership): Not sure I’d be recommending to add Keith Yandle to your real-life hockey team, but he’s available in some standard leagues and is worth a shot. He’ll get PTS, scoring 8 in his last 7 GP.
5) Jacob Markstrom, Vancouver, (46% Yahoo ownership): I do not trust the Vancouver Canucks to be a good team, especially now that Bo Horvat is out for 6 weeks. In his last 4 GP Markstrom has posted a 1.72 GAA and .937 SV%. If you need to plug a hole in a shallow league, he might be available. Worth owning while this little hot streak keeps going.
Going Deep: players owned in 10% of leagues or less:
1) Sam Bennett, Calgary, (6% Yahoo ownership): I’m thrilled to include Bennett on this list, having dropped him in my 18 Team League a few weeks ago when things were looking bleak. Now he’s got 8 PTS in his last 7 GP. Awesome.
2) Tanner Pearson, LA, (7% Yahoo ownership): With 7 PTS in his last 6 GP, Pearson is putting up good numbers for a guy available in a bunch of leagues.
3) Andrew Shaw, Montreal, (8% Yahoo ownership): Shaw has been averaging over 17m of ice time over the last 2 weeks, adding 6 PTS in 7 GP. If you’re looking for penalty minutes, he can help you there too.
4) Justin Braun, San Jose, (6% Yahoo ownership): In his last 6 GP he’s got 4 PTS while averaging over 21m of ice time. Of all the defensemen owned in 10% of leagues or less, he’d be my #1 add.
5) Kari Lehtonen, Dallas, (7% Yahoo ownership): Looking at the list of goalies owned in 10% of leagues or less, Lehtonen is the best option. He has played in 4 of the last 5 games for Dallas and has played well. If you’re in a deep league and need a guy, he’s a decent short-term option.
The 1%: Top 3 Players to Add that are 1% Owned or Less
1) Michael Raffl, Philly, (1% Yahoo ownership): Rotoworld advised a few weeks ago that Raffl “should not be added in any format”. That is not true. He can be owned in deep leagues, scoring 6 PTS in his last 6 GP. He’s been getting generous ice time.
2) Daniel Carr, Montreal, (0% Yahoo ownership): Since being recalled from the minors, Carr has 7 PTS in 5 GP. Three of those PTS came in the Detroit blowout, but that’s still pretty good for a 0% owned player.
3) Mike Matheson, Florida, (1% Yahoo ownership): He’ a good young defenseman who has scored 4 PTS in his last 7 GP.
1) Artemi Panarin, Columbus, (98% Yahoo ownership): He is perfectly capable of scoring PTS without Patrick Kane, posting 10 in his last 5 GP alone. His trade value might never be higher than it is right now.
2) Tom Wilson, Washington, (36% Yahoo ownership): Over his last 3 GP, Wilson has posted 7 PTS, +6, 11 PIMS, 9 shots, and 10 hits. If you’re in a league that counts all those categories you’ll probably want to keep him. Otherwise, he’d make for great “sweetener” in some trade offers. He’ll cool down soon enough.
3) Anze Kopitar, LA, (94% Yahoo ownership): In his last 7 GP he’s scored 13 PTS. It has been a remarkable bounce back season for the 30-year-old player. However, I fully expect this torrid pace to cool off in the 2nd half. If you wanted to sell high, there is no better time than right now.
1) Victor Hedman, Tampa, (100% Yahoo ownership): The Norris Trophy contender has not scored a point over the last 7 games. There is no reason to be concerned. This may be an opportunity to acquire him at a discount.
2) Johnny Gaudreau, Calgary, (99% Yahoo ownership): In his last 8 GP, Mr. Hockey has only scored 3 PTS. Now might be the best time to make a trade offer if this is a guy you want on your team.
3) PK Subban, Nashville, (99% Yahoo ownership): Like Hedman, he’s pointless over his last 7 GP, which is far below his owner’s expectations. This would be an opportunistic time to make a trade offer.
1) Craig Anderson, Ottawa, (75% Yahoo ownership): This is not the first time that Mr. Anderson has appeared on the “Be Concerned” list. If he’s been on your fantasy team all season, then you’re probably already plenty concerned and don’t need me to tell you. On the season he’s sporting a 3.11 GAA and .895 SV%, which does not merit 75% ownership.
2) Justin Faulk, Carolina, (70% Yahoo ownership): His PTS per game has plummeted by half since last season, with 7 PTS in 28 GP. If you drafted him as a 40-point defenseman, he’s been a huge disappointment. That ownership % is way too high. He can be dropped in standard leagues.
3) Nick Foligno, Columbus, (45% Yahoo ownership): He gets plenty of ice time with gifted offensive players and still has just 4 PTS in his last 14 GP. That’s not what you drafted him to be. He can be safely dropped in all standard leagues.