1) Matt Duchene, Ott, (40% Yahoo ownership): It was concerning how little Duchene produced after arriving in Ottawa following a blockbuster trade. Maybe there was too much pressure to perform, or maybe it took him time to adjust to his new teammates. Whatever the reason, he has scored 11 PTS in his last 12 GP. That’s good.
2) Jeff Petry, Mtl, (19% Yahoo ownership): Over the last 30 days, Petry is averaging more than 24 minutes of ice time per game, scoring 10 PTS, 6 power play PTS, 33 shots in 11 GP. That’s standard league relevant. I’m not historically a Petry believer, but those numbers can’t be ignored if this continues.
3) Ryan O’Reilly, Buf, (51% Yahoo ownership): If you play in a league that counts face-off wins, then O’Reilly is already owned. He’s been good to start 2018 with 10 PTS in his last 12 GP. He was dropped in many leagues after a slow start, but he's back up over 50% ownership.
4) Tomas Hertl, SJ, (44% Yahoo ownership): Hertl has been regularly over 19 minutes of ice time per game, scoring 10 PTS in his last 13 GP. That puts him in the standard league conversation. He may finally be delivering on all that hype he got as a rookie.
5) Cam Atkinson, Clb, (51% Yahoo ownership): In 4 games since returning from injury, he’s got 4 PTS and 16 shots on goal. Looks like a stint on the IR may have cured whatever problem was causing his first half slump.
Going Deep: players owned in 10% of leagues or less:
1) Bryan Rust, Pit, (6% Yahoo ownership): He had gone through an extended slump before missing time with an injury. He’s back in the line-up, getting good ice time and has scored 5 PTS in his last 5 GP. He’s an interesting name with Malkin being on fire.
2) Ryan Pulock, NYI, (3% Yahoo ownership): There’s been hype about this kid for years and he has finally started producing. 10 PTS and 29 shots on goal in his last 13 GP. Worth a gamble in the deep leagues. If he continues at this pace, he may jump up to standard league relevancy.
3) Kevin Lebanc, SJ, (9% Yahoo ownership): “The Bank” scored 20 PTS in 55 GP last season and already has 29 PTS in 46 GP this season. The Sharks have been increasing his ice time and he’s got 7 PTS in his last 6 GP.
4) Ryan Spooner, Bos, (7% Yahoo ownership): He missed a month early in the season and started very slowly. He’s now up to 21 PTS in 30 GP with 10 PTS in his last 12 GP. He’s a talented player getting plenty of ice time on a good team.
5) Lars Eller, Wsh, (5% Yahoo ownership): Last season Eller scored 25 PTS in 81 GP. He’s now got 26 PTS in 50 GP this season with increased ice time. They are playing him more, and he’s scoring more. I’m not adding him in a standard league, but he needs to be added in deeper formats.
The 1%: Top 3 Players to Add that are 1% Owned or Less
1) Matt Peca, TB: In 6 GP since being promoted from the minors, Peca has scored 6 PTS with 13 shots on goal and a +10. Given Tampa’s roster depth, he could get sent back to the AHL at any time, but for now ride the wave.
2) Devin Shore, Dal: He has scored 6 PTS in his last 6 GP with 12 shots. There is some offensive upside for very deep leagues, though be warned he is -18 on the season, if you are sensitive to +/-.
3) Mikkel Boedker, SJ: He scored 8 PTS in his first 31 GP, and has now scored 8 PTS in his last 12 GP. He’s got some value in leagues with at least 16 teams while this little hot streak lasts.
1) Anders Lee, NYI, (82% Yahoo ownership): I’ve owned him in a standard league for most of the season and he’s mostly been fantastic. Now he has just 3 PTS in his last 12 GP, which is in the “drop zone”. I haven’t dropped him yet, but he’s on a short leash.
2) Jeff Skinner, Car, (72% Yahoo ownership): In his last 12 GP he has 3 PTS and is -10. He’s still helping you in shots on goal but he’s gone cold. If you’re in a standard league and there’s better options on the waiver wire, don’t be shy to drop Skinner.
3) Evander Kane, Buf, (87% Yahoo ownership): Somebody forgot to tell this guy that he’s playing for a new contract. His season started great but he has only scored 1 point in his last 12 GP. That doesn’t justify 87% ownership. He’s still getting PIMs, so there’s some value there.