Players to watch, all formats:
1) Kyle Palmieri, NJ, (45% Yahoo ownership): If he had not missed a month with injury, his ownership would be higher. He has scored 7 PTS in his last 6 GP and can help you in several categories.
2) Cam Fowler, Ana, (53% Yahoo ownership): It has taken him a while to get going, but with 9 PTS in his last 13 GP, he can help you in standard leagues. I added him in mine.
3) Matthew Barzal, NYI, (74% Yahoo ownership): I’ve been saying this for months, ADD BARZAL! With 19 PTS in his last 13 GP, I’m confused how he’s still available in 26% of leagues. If you’re in any sized league and he’s on the waiver wire, add him now!
4) Sam Reinhart, Buf, (31% Yahoo ownership): After a brutal start to the season, Reinhart has 14 PTS in his last 10 GP. Better late than never. Youngster with upside alert. We’ll see how well he can sustain his current pace, but you can at least ride the hot streak.
5) Carter Hutton, Stl, (68% Yahoo ownership): This guy might be for real. Over his last 9 GP he’s sporting a 7-2 record with a 1.47 GAA and .950 SV%. You can also drop Jake Allen.
Going Deep: players owned in 10% of leagues or less:
1) Brock Nelson, NYI, (5% Yahoo ownership): Brock scored 8 PTS in his first 30 GP. He scored 16 in his next 26 GP, with 7 PTS in his last 6. You see the trend here. He’s young on a team with talented offensive players.
2) Nolan Patrick, Phi, (8% Yahoo ownership): The rookie has 4 PTS in his last 6 GP. If you’re in a deep league and like rolling the dice on young players, he’s worth thinking about.
3) Greg Pateryn, Dal, (3% Yahoo ownership): Be warned that Dallas only plays 2 games next week. In his last 6 GP Pateryn has 4 PTS, 16 Shots, 22 Hits, and 23 Blocked Shots. If you’re in a deep league that counts those categories, he can help.
4) Frans Nielsen, Det, (3% Yahoo ownership): The veteran has scored 6 PTS in his last 7 GP and is an appealing target if you’re in a league with 16 or more teams. Though be warned, eventually he will go cold again. This is not a long-term investment.
5) Scott Hartnell, Nsh, (5% Yahoo ownership): He’s another guy who has not been good this season, but has been good lately. 5 PTS in his last 7 GP and he can also help you in PIMs and Hits.
The 1%: Top 3 Players to Add that are 1% Owned or Less
1) Riley Sheahan, Pit: Sheahan has scored 5 PTS in his last 5 GP where he has averaged over 16 minutes of ice time. He’s probably not going to get much ice with the big guns, but anyone putting up PTS in Pittsburgh is worth considering.
2) JT Compher, Col: His ice time has increased considerably since the MacKinnon injury and he has scored 7 PTS in his last 8 GP. So long as he’s getting this increased opportunity, he’s worth a shot in deep leagues.
3) Alex Iafallo, LA: Over his last 13 GP, Iafallo has been averaging close to 16 minutes of ice time, scoring 8 PTS with a +4 and 24 Shots. If LA’s veteran heavy line-up is starting to wear down, he could continue to benefit from greater opportunity.
1) Henrik Lundqvist, NYR, (92% Yahoo ownership): Over his last 5 GP, the King has a 4.60 GAA and .874 SV%. That’s not good. The Lundqvist owner in my 18-team keeper league has been in dead last since October. You can drop him in standard leagues because there is probably a better option available.
2) Zach Werenski, Cbj, (93% Yahoo ownership): He’s played 15 games so far in 2018 and has scored 3 PTS. That’s not enough for a 93% owned player. He’s droppable in shallow leagues (right now I’d rather have Cam Fowler). The kid could also snap out of the cold streak at any time, which is probably why so many owners are still holding on.
3) Brandon Saad, Chi, (63% Yahoo ownership): I’m not quite sure what happened to this guy, but 1 point in his last 12 GP is really bad. He needs to be dropped in ¾ of the leagues he’s owned in.