Tuesday, November 28, 2023

2023/24 Week 7 Betting Report

Week seven of the NHL season has been logged into the history books and today is the first day of the second quarter, which means my “Profitability Rankings” below are my final Q1 ranks, and will be presented in exactly that order when my first quarterly report is released in the next 7-10 days. I’m already 5,000 words into that project, providing a deeper look at each team. The San Jose Sharks finish in first place, the Montreal Canadiens in last place. My rate of return on the season has dropped to 1.4%, which is disappointing but not a disaster. All these models are relatively new, and I need to get comfortable with their strengths and weaknesses.
 
Before we go any further, it’s time for my obligatory *DISCLAIMER* it needs be noted that I’m not betting with real money. These are all fictional wagers in a spreadsheet. My mission is to engage in a mass betting campaign, picking a winner of every single game, every over/under, because it provides a complete dataset for macroeconomic analysis, which can be shared with you, shedding light on what worked and what failed. I’m also tracking the results of betting every outcome, to help me (and you) uncover previously unknown or newly emerging profit vectors. What started as a thought experiment has evolved into much more.
 
If you’d like to read more about the first 3 years of this thought experiment, I wrote a 330-page book outlining the results from every angle. What worked, what failed. Lessons learned, market trends, team-by-team analysis. To read more, visit the Amazon store. My blog has been moved to Substack this season and I’ll be repeatedly encouraging everyone to sign-up for a free subscription to alleviate my dependence on Twitter for traffic. I’m concerned that Elon will follow through on his threat to charge everyone for Twitter and ostensibly destroy his own company. Subscribers receive an email notification each time a new post is published, and even if Twitter stays free, the algorithm likes to hide Tweets with links so you don’t leave.


My week 7 preview identified that this would be a good week to bet road teams, and that was indeed true. That’s a big reason why Tailing History (aka Tails) was king of the models. My investment in road teams was larger than home teams, but I wound up losing money on both. My preview anticipated this would be a bad week to bet dogs -1.5 goals, and that was also true (with most of the losses coming from home dogs). If you bet $100 on every underdog -1.5 goals this week, you lost nearly -$1,500. Tails and Game Sum cleaned up on faves -1.5 goals and I did too, but not nearly as much.
 
Tuesday I sent a picks email for all the Wednesday games exclusively to my free subscribers, and while I came out ahead betting wins and losses, I went 2-11-1 on my over/under picks (after going 8-4 Sunday and Monday). There were no games on Thursday, but Friday I wrote “Wednesday over/under post-mortem” on my “to do” list.  But this Friday was a little different, there were games all day for the holiday in America. Before the analysis of my shitty Wednesday even began, my Friday OU picks started cashing. By the end of the night, I was 10-5, hitting 3 of 4 “double” wagers. The post-mortem was scratched off the list before it even began.
 
All that being said, Friday wasn’t a great night. My success in over/under had to pay for two substantial losses, Chicago upsetting Toronto (again) and Montreal not covering the puckline vs San Jose. Both were bets that I shared on Twitter, but neglecting to share that the Leafs have a history of choking when I make big bets on them to win, and Montreal being dead last in my profitability rankings. At least my Tweet noted that Montreal is bad at covering -1.5 on the road and my fair line estimator only thought they should be a -125 favorite, which was worrisome. Boston (7-1 at home) losing to Detroit (4-4 on the road) also struck out, as did Washington to beat Edmonton (at least Skinner recorded a shutout for my fantasy team).
 
By Saturday afternoon when I sent another picks email to subscribers, I was up $91 for the week on my over/under picks. By Sunday night I was down -$839, going 0-3 when betting double. The teams that caused the most trouble for my advisory algorithms; New Jersey unders going 2-1, Winnipeg unders going 3-0, Anaheim overs going 3-0, Carolina overs going 2-1, and Minnesota unders going 2-0. That pretty much explains all my difficulty this week. Too many teams transitioning from overs to unders and visa versa. I’m planning to start tracking which over/under algorithms are better for each team. Here was how they all performed this week.
 
 

There was some discussion in my Sunday preview about this new “Prime Line Value” algorithm. All these are going into my weekly database, so I can track which combinations perform the best when they are in agreement, who is the best when my primary is wrong, and which algorithms work better for each team. I’m currently slumping on over/unders, but there is a plan underway to maximize the advice I’m receiving from this advisory team. This Prime Line Value might become the new primary if it continues performing like this. It’s just bizarre how often it likes unders.
 
 
My Team of the Week: Los Angeles Kings, +$1,094
 
The Los Angeles Kings have ascended to 2nd in my profitability rankings and might be the best team in the league. They have certainly passed Vegas as the team I trust the most to deliver on my picks, with Boston’s reliability also wavering. The only thing that bothered me previously was Pheonix Copley being terrible, and most of my bets being logged 30ish hours before puck drop. Doubt would creep into my mind when Talbot had started a few in a row and the risk of the radioactive back-up getting the call climbed. But Copley has only given up 1 goal in his last 2 starts, so maybe my nerves can calm.
 
My second best team of the week was the Seattle Kraken, which is actually a team that I’m still in the process of trying figure out, but had a good read this week pulling a nice profit from both betting them to win and lose. This was a playoff team last year that upset the defending champ in round one and won at a 36% clip in the 1st quarter. It did cost me some money early in the schedule learning this isn’t the team we saw last spring. They have a lot of the same pieces, so it’s plausible they’ll get hot eventually, I’ll just need to see it to believe it.
 

My Worst Team of the Week: New Jersey Devils, -$900
 
The New Jersey Devils threw a wrench in my proficiency this week, betting them to beat Detroit and Columbus after Jack Hughes returned to the line-up, losing both (turns out Alex Lyon and Elvis Merzlikins are starting Vezina campaigns). That compelled me to bet the frisky Sabres to beat them on Saturday, but then Nico Hischier returned and the Devils destroyed them. I’m hoping now that the pair is back, it’s safe to make big bets on Devils to win again. I was betting Devils in 75% of their games until those two injures. If both are healthy, I’m back on the wagon.
 
The Boston Bruins were my second worst team of the week, which hurts because this was one of my safe harbors in October. I can probably just cut and paste what I wrote about Vegas last week and change the names. The Bs played 4 times and lost 3. The only game I bet them to lose was the game they won. The only reason they weren’t my #1 worst team of the week was going 3-1 on their over/under (with my primary algorithm recommending the over each time). This previously impenetrable defense has given up 5+ goals in 3 of their last 4 games.
 

My Week 7 Results
*Note* “Overall Market Bets” based on betting exactly $100 on every outcome.
 
 
There wasn’t much here for me to brag about, as all my success came from home favorites -1.5 goals and road dogs ML. My Week 7 Preview indicated this would be a good week to bet road teams, which it was. What killed my road performance was San Jose covering +1.5 twice at home, Toronto losing Chicago, New Jersey losing to Detroit, and Colorado losing to Nashville. I’m certainly not happy about my over/under performance, but as previously mentioned, I’m expanding my algorithm tracking to add much more depth to my decisions.
 

Some of the team results above you’ll recognize from my best/worst teams of the week. Nashville-Detroit exceeding expectations and Boston-Toronto disappointing was the combo that dealt the death blow. Thanks God almighty for the LA Kings. They might be my new favorite team to bet on, the one that makes me feel the safest. I’m concerned about Boston and Vegas. What happened to my over/under wagers can be explained pretty easily looking at the results below. The two best bets were under 6.5 goals and over 7, whereas over 6.5 and under 7 were my two worst bets.
 
 
Team By Team Profitability Rankings

These profitability rankings are based on the sum of all my bets per team, including where the money was won or lost. Each week my new Profitability Rankings will be based on all the games in the season, not just what happened this week.
 

 
Me vs Myself
 
For those of you who are new here, the “Me vs Myself” section outlines my competition against my betting models, in my vain attempt to prove my own decision making is superior to the models that I’ve created. Me vs my creations. But rather than explain myself every week, a new post was published outlining how all these make their decisions. For the full breakdown, click here. Below is the chart showing how they all performed in week 7, breaking it down by category.
 

This was a roller-coaster ride for my Betting Venues model, who many of you know by now is the leader in this “Me vs Myself” section by a mile. A few days into the week, it was down over $2,000 because the underdog pucklines -1.5 goals stopped cashing, at least until Friday, then won $2,600. Then it lost all that money back on Saturday. Home teams did most of the damage, ML and -1.5 goals. Tailing History knew to avoid dogs -1.5 goals and could have saved B.V from a few mistakes. Tails also did a much better job at favorites -1.5 goals, as the historically profitable line ranges replicated their effectiveness more than past match-ups between these teams in that city.
 
The Game Sum model has posted a significant loss in all 3 weeks it has been alive, so it might be time to modify the decision matrix. There are two possible modifications I’m considering: first being the exact same model, but using my betting results instead of the $100 on every outcome data it is currently using. Or it can use the “fair line estimator” to just bet whatever option is offering the most value. Although my suspicion is that version would often bet the same outcome as the original formula. There’s not a big rush, as long as you know it’s a big loser when going through my picks.
 
The data that’s feeding Game Sum does have meaning and value. It was made using data I’ll regularly check before making my own picks. What’s a good bet when this team is on the road and that team is at home? What bothers me the most is that it’s losing a large sum on both underdog and favorites ML. At first it seemed like the problem could be fixed by limiting bet size on underdog pucklines -1.5 goals but there’s bigger problems. I could always install some safety protocols to minimize bet size on categories producing the largest loss. We’ll see, I’ve got some time to think about this.
 
This is also where I share picks for Tuesday. My report is already getting pretty long, so I’m not breaking down the entire Tuesday slate, just those I’m most interested in betting. Sorry, I’m skipping Vancouver and Anaheim. These were two of my bandwagon teams that have both been regressing. I’m recusing myself from sharing my bet. The models were very divided too.
 
 
NYI @ NJ:
 

The Devils have Hughes and Hischier back in the line-up, crushing Buffalo 7-2 in their last game. Seeing that overwhelming victory with both back compels me to jump aboard the bandwagon, however for this game specifically, I’m going to have to make a minimum bet on the Isles ML +142. A big reason why is that the Islanders are 6-2 in New Jersey since October 2019, so Betting Venues is taking the NYI ML too. Game Sum also loves the Isles ML as they are 4-5 on the road while Jersey is 4-6 at home (where they have struggled in past seasons, albeit with a worse team). Isles having a better road record than NJD’s home record means the fair line estimator thinks they should be a slight favorite, not a +142 dog.
 
It’s intimidating to bet against the Devils, but this should be Sorokin (.918 SV% last 30 days) vs Vanecek (.881 SV% last 30 days). The OU Council voted 4-4 on under 6.5, but my primary likes the over and so does Prime Line Value, which is crushing overs this season (as discussed in my preview yesterday). Both line value algorithms like that over at +105. Tailing History also took the over and is the best performing OU algorithm this season.
 
 
CAR @ PHI:
 

The Carolina Hurricanes are 5-6 on the road and the Flyers are 5-5 at home, which would make them a slight favorite by that simple math. While I do like Carolina as a team, paying -162 for their road moneyline is too expensive for my comfort. Tailing History and Game Sum have max bets on Philly -1.5 goals, with the GS justification being Flyers have been a great bet -1.5 goals at home (hitting in 4 of 5 home wins at +260, +360, +240, and +160), while road Carolina opponents have also been profitable at -1.5 (hitting at +475, +300, +230, and +240). I’m not that brave though. I considered tailing Betting Venues on the PL +1.5, but ultimately settled on the ML +136.
 
This will almost certainly be Carter Hart in goal, though his SV% last 30 days has dropped to .896. I’m not sure which Carolina goalie this will be, but Kochetkov has a .917 SV% last 30 days while Raanta is a concerning .846, getting lit up for 8 goals on 14 shots last start against Tampa. Seems like for that reason they’ll go back to Kochetkov, which compels me to bet under 6 goals. But I hate that bet if they come back with Raanta. Consider yourself warned.
 
 
PIT @ NSH:
 

The fair line estimator thinks Nashville should be favored here because they’re 7-4 at home while Pittsburgh is 5-4 on the road. This will almost certainly be Saros in goal for the Preds, and while he does have an .890 SV% last 30 days, it’s .920 in his last 3 games. He’s trending in a positive direction. All that said, Nashville ML was tempting at +100 because they’ve won 5 in a row.  That’s why Game Sum is betting Nashville ML. What pushed me to Pittsburgh was the other 2 models going big on Pens -1.5 goals. They are 2-1 in Nashville since Oct 2019, covering both wins -1.5 goals at +272 and +200 (last year). I’ll make a smaller bet on the Pens -1.5 goals, taking a swing at a +200 payout.
 
The OU Council is voting 7-1 on under 6.5 but the one holdout happens to be the best performing. But as mentioned in my preview yesterday, it’s loving overs because of Omicron in 2021 that probably won’t repeat with the league dropping protocols.
 
 
STL @ MIN:
 

The OU Council is very divided on this game. Minnesota overs have been awesome this season, but they have gone under 6.5 in 3 of their last 4 games. Given the erratic nature of both team’s goaltending, it’s hard to trust either side. Binnington looked like he was starting to unravel then played well against Chicago (helping me win a puckline bet that was shared with subscribers). The reason I’m even sharing a pick here is because Betting Venues and Game Sum love St. Louis -1.5 goals (the actual alt puckline isn’t up yet, but should be around +320). Blues have covered -1.5 in 4 of their last 6 trips to Minnesota. We hit a Blues PL bet on Sunday, let’s go for another on Tuesday. The fair line estimator thinks the Wild ML should be +122 not -162. They’ve lost 7 in a row. Maybe there’s historical data that 7 game losing streaks tend to end on the 8th game. That’s the only way the line makes any sense.
 
 
DAL @ WPG:
 

The Dallas Stars are a really good hockey team, and the fair line estimator thinks they should be -138 instead of -118, so there’s potential value there. The models are divided, but I’m going to tail Betting Venues with a smaller wager on Jets ML at -102. Jets have been one of my best teams to bet on this season, and I have yet to be chased off their bandwagon. Stars are good though. What’s more interesting is the 8-0 support for over 6 goals. The line is probably because this should be Hellebuyck vs Oettinger, the catch being Oettinger only has an .893 SV% in the last 30 days. If you’re expecting a goaltending duel between Vezina contenders, maybe bet the under. I just like +100 for over 6.
 
 
TB @ ARI:
 

The Tampa Bay Lightning are playing tonight in Denver, then flying to Arizona for a back-to-back. They did the same thing last year, winning 4-3 in Colorado then losing 1-0 in Mullett Arena. Connor Ingram was the starting goalie in that game, and is Arizona’s confirmed starter tomorrow (he just shutout Vegas and has a .927 SV% last 30 days). All 4 models are taking the Yotes, even Shorting Travel is getting in on the action with Tampa playing a back-to-back flying 947 km. I’ll take the Arizona ML at +114, which the fair line estimator thinks should be -125. Jonas Johansson is the confirmed starter for Tampa (.871 SV% last 30 days), which is why I’ll be taking over 6.5 (but Ingram and Tampa being tired from chasing MacKinnon and Makar around the ice tonight may favor the under).

No comments:

Post a Comment