Which NHL players saw their fantasy hockey stocks drop the most in the month of October 2018? This is based on Yahoo ownership, with a sample taken in preseason, then again today. We are looking at the top 10 players who have seen their ownership drop the most, excluding players who dropped due to illness or injury.
Goalies not included.
1) Kevin Fiala, Nashville, (fell 40%): In preseason Fiala was sitting at 70% ownership, but has since seen his value plummet to 30% after a 5 PTS in 12 GP October. He should turn that around at some point in the season, so he become a good buy low target at 22 years old.
2) Casey Mittelstadt, Buffalo, (fell 32%): Yahoo did over-rank several rookies, and this one was no different. He started at 53% ownership and has fallen to 21% after 3 PTS in 12 GP for the month of October. There is room for that ownership to drop even further if he doesn't start scoring. Still retains more value in dynasty leagues.
3) Anthony Mantha, Detroit, (fell 31%): This is where I pat myself on the back for being a Detroit Red Wings fan who did not protect Mantha in my keeper league. It was the right call. He hit 64% ownership before the season but has not been good. With 5 PTS in 12 GP, that ownership has fallen to 33%.
4) Nick Leddy, Islanders, (fell 30%): There were signs of decline for Leddy last season, which didn't stop him from being 66% owned in preseason. After scoring 3 PTS in his first 11 GP, that number has dropped to 36%.
5) Ryan Pulock, Islanders, (fell 30%): Pulock had some big sleeper buzz heading into the season with that booming slapshot, but a slow start saw his ownership drop from 68% to 38%. He had gone 8 games without a point before scoring 3 in his last 3, so there is some hope of a rebound.
6) Andrei Svechnikov, Carolina, (fell 28%): Another over-ranked rookie, Svechnikov was 69% owned in preseason. That number has since fallen to 41% after scoring 4 PTS in 12 GP in October. There is room for his ownership to fall even further. He should be dropped in standard leagues.
7) Max Pacioretty, Vegas, (fell 27%): There was optimism when Mad Max arrived in Las Vegas, with his early ownership reaching 89%. It hasn't been as exciting as anticipated, scoring 2 PTS in 10 GP, dropping to 62% on Yahoo. If he does manage to heat up, that number will shoot back up.
8) Martin Marincin, Toronto, (fell 26%): The Yahoo autodraft had a busy preseason, adding Marincin to almost 60% of leagues (thanks to a botched rankings job). That ownership has fallen to 30% when it should be 0%, helping expose how many zombie teams exist throughout Yahoo (a problem since they introduced automatic renewals).
9) Travis Konecny, Philly, (fell 26%): Last season Konecny was awful in the first half and great in the second half. That contributed to his 72% preseason ownership. After a 5 PTS in 12 GP start, he has fallen to 46%.
10) Nino Niederreiter, Minnesota, (fell 24%): This is the 4th player on this list with 5 PTS in 12 GP. Nino was bad last season, but still over-ranked by Yahoo, which put his early ownership at 53%. That has dropped down to 46% with room to drop even further.