Which 10 NHL players had the greatest increase in fantasy hockey ownership (on Yahoo) from September to the end of October? I had recorded everyone's ownership % on Yahoo during the preseason, and again today, to see what stock has risen the most.
Goalies not included.
1) Michael Ferland, Carolina, (rose 75%): He started the season at only 4% ownership, and was the biggest gainer for the month of October, climbing up to 79% by Nov 1. His October stat line was 12 GP, 11 PTS, 43 shots, 34 hits.
2) Thomas Chabot, Ottawa (rose 65%): Add this kid to my "I suspected this was going to happen and should have drafted him" list. He started out at 17% ownership and shot up to 82% with 13 PTS in 11 GP.
3) Kasperi Kapanen, Toronto, (rose 59%): Kapanen should send William Nylander a thank you card. Expect him to give a lot of this value back if and when Nylander does sign. He was only 5% owned in September, and is up to 64% with 10 PTS in 12 GP.
4) Elias Lindholm, Calgary, (rose 54%): Lindholm started out at 15% ownership. After scoring 13 PTS in 13 GP in October he is up to 69%. There was much speculation prior to the season that he would be battling with James Neal for a spot on the top line, but Neal has sucked so far. Lindholm has been great.
5) Zach Parise, Minnesota, (rose 53%): Parise missed significant time with injury last season and started out at only 14% owned in September. He's scored 12 PTS in 12 GP and is currently sitting at 67%.
6) Maxime Lajoie, Ottawa, (rose 45%): Nobody knew who this guy was until he started piling up PTS. He went from 0% in September, scored 7 PTS in 11 GP, and now finds himself at 45%. It's worth pointing out that Maximus did peak at over 60% in mid-October, and has given some of that value back (as expected).
7) Elias Pettersson, Vancouver, (rose 44%): Kid Wonder started out at 34% owned back in September, scored 10 PTS in 8 GP, and now sits at 78%. That rise was blunted by a concussion suffered earlier in the month, from which he returned and didn't skip a beat.
8) Jeff Petry, Montreal, (rose 42%): We did see Petry put up great numbers in the 2nd half last season with Weber out of the line-up, but he was still only owned in 20% of leagues before this season. 11 GP, 9 PTS, and 23 hits later, that ownership is up to 62%.
9) Timo Meier, San Jose, (rose 37%): Timo did get some sleeper buzz in preseason, which helped his ownership get to 39% before October 1st. 12 GP, 14 PTS, and 37 shots later, he's at 76%.
10) Henri Jokiharju, Chicago, (rose 37%): This teenager was not on anyone's radar heading into the season and went largely undrafted, 0% owned during preseason, 37% owned at the end of October. He had been higher earlier in the month but has given some of that value back.
Honorable mentions: Robert Hagg +36%, Hampus Lindholm +34%, Josh Morrissey + 33%, Jordan Staal +31%, Jason Pominville +31%