Thursday, March 10, 2011

Did Chara Mean To Injure Max Pacorietty?

Did Zdeno Chara intend to cause serious injury to Max Pacorietty? While the incident is unfortunate, I don't think Zdeno meant to cause him permanent harm. This was something that unfolded in a matter of seconds, and I don't see the Bruins defenseman as a malicious man. The NHL is not fining or suspending Chara, which is the right move. Steckel should have gotten 30 games for his hit on Crosby. What happened with Chara was more about body position on a forechecking forward and was not a drive by headshot. It just happened.

I feel terrible for Pacorietty, whom I owned in my fantasy hockey league. He had been having a great 2011 and I wish him a speedy recovery. Get well soon Max. I just don't see criminal intent. There is a long archive of similar incidents which had no fines or penalties.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your viewpoint. I hope Pacioretty makes a speedy recovery from this disastrous hit.

    By the way, I’ve never heard of a five-minute major penalty for interference, which was what Chara received, in addition to a game misconduct!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liken the Chara hit to the Steckel hit on Crosby. Both players took advantage of a situation that presented itself at the last moment. Good players make such hits appear unintentional with no malice. Chara knew exactly what he was doing, where he was on the ice, and where the glass started at the players bench. How many hockey games has he played in his life? He knows an ice surface like the back of his hand and where the obstructions are. He could have let Pacioretty through on the boards bot he chose to finish his check and run him into the stanchion. O excuse me - give me a break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Chara should have let him through to collect the puck in Boston's zone? We can't say what was going through Chara's mind in those precious seconds. I have always liked Chara, and I can't convict him of criminal intent.

    ReplyDelete