Here are my Power Rankings for mid March, which just a few short weeks remaining in the NHL season. Vancouver continues to hold the #1 spot as they begin running away with the President's Trophy.
1. Vancouver, 99 PTS (last rank #1): 1 in 3 President's Trophy winners go on to win the Cup. This has been the best team in the NHL this season.
2. Detroit, 90 PTS (last rank #3): Datsyuk has been showing up a lot lately on the highlight reels.
3. Washington, 90 PTS (last rank #7): Won 8 straight, heating up at just the right time.
4. San Jose, 86 PTS (last rank #4): Like Washington, this team is heating up at the right time. With production from Pavelski and Setoguchi, this is a tough team to beat.
5. Philadelphia, 91 PTS (last rank #2): Some tough losses in the last 2 weeks, and Pronger out for 3-4 weeks.
6. Boston, 85 PTS (last rank #6): Won 7 straight then lost 4 in a row. The Chara hit was bad karma.
7. Los Angeles, 83 PTS (last rank #8): Not a team you want to meet in the 1st round of the playoffs.
8. Tampa Bay, 85 PTS (last rank #5): Not going to win the Stanley Cup with Roloson as the starting goaltender.
9. Chicago, 82 PTS (last rank #9): Toews has 29 points in 19 games since the all-star break. Sharp, Hossa, Bolland, and Bickell are providing secondary scoring. Not a team you want to play in the 1st round of the playoffs.
10. Montreal, 83 PTS (last rank #13): Montreal vs Boston in the 1st round of the playoffs? That would be fascinating.
11. Pittsburgh, 88 PTS (last rank #17): Holding stronger than I thought they would without Crosby and Malkin. Sid skated today. Get well soon!
12. Phoenix, 83 PTS (last rank #10): Shane Doan is carrying this team on his back, but they have no scoring depth.
13. Dallas, 82 PTS (last rank #16): Stars starting to twinkle again. Brad Richards is really good.
14. Calgary, 81 PTS (last rank #14): The come from behind loss to Vancouver was devastating. Holding the last spot, but teams around them have 2 games in hand. Trouble brewing.
15. Nashville, 80 PTS (last rank #15): This team isn't going far on the backs of Martin Erat and David Legwand.
16. Anaheim, 79 PTS (last rank #11): They need Jonas Hiller back fast.
17. NY Rangers, 76 PTS (last rank #18): Where have you gone Brandon Dubinsky, my fantasy team turns its lonely eyes to you. Callahan is currently carrying this team offensively.
18. Minnesota, 77 PTS (last rank #12): I'd be interested to see the playoff success track record of teams that have had Martin Havlat as their leading scorer.
19. Buffalo, 76 PTS (last rank #19): They looked bad against Toronto, but do have a talented arsenal of young players. They miss Roy, and Myers is overrated.
20. Columbus, 73 PTS (last rank #21): They have been getting balanced scoring throughout their line-up. They are an elite defenseman away from being a great team.
21. Carolina, 72 PTS (last rank #20): Choking. Staal has slowed down, Cole has been their leading scorer since the all-star break.
22. Toronto, 70 PTS (last rank #23): They really needed Ottawa to beat Buffalo. Playoff drive likely to fall short. Saturday's win over Buffalo was like a playoff game.
23. New Jersey, 68 PTS (last rank #25): Brodeur is back. Johan Hedberg has been the hottest goalie in the league, then gets tossed to the bench when Marty comes back. Where's the controversy?
24. St. Louis, 71 PTS (last rank #22): This will be a playoff team next season.
25. Atlanta, 70 PTS (last rank #24): Dustin Byfuglien will not win the Norris Trophy this season.
26. NY Islanders, 65 PTS (last rank #28): Very talented young forward group, but this team desperately needs puck moving defensemen. They could be threatening for a playoff spot with a healthy Mark Streit.
27. Florida, 65 PTS (last rank #26): This team is going to suck for at least the next 3 years. Should help their transition to Quebec City.
28. Ottawa, 59 PTS (last rank #29): Jason Spezza is on a tear. Speculation of his demise might have been premature.
29. Colorado, 60 PTS (last rank #27): Have they been purposefully tanking the season for a high draft pick? They literally fell off a cliff.
30. Edmonton, 55 PTS (last rank #30): This team will finish in last place.