Wednesday, May 3, 2023

2022/23 NHL Playoffs First Round Betting Report

Round one of the NHL playoffs is an exciting time to be alive, as hockey fans were treated to exhilarating clashes between some hated rivals while some new rivalries were born. The biggest news to emerge from round one was the Toronto Maple Leafs winning their first playoff series since the introduction of the salary cap, as the Tampa Bay Lightning dynasty is fading into darkness. My opening week went reasonably well, mostly thanks to underdogs and road moneyline, which obviously are quite often the same thing.
 
*DISCLAIMER* it needs be noted that I’m not betting with real money. These are all fictional wagers in a spreadsheet. My mission is to engage in a mass betting campaign, picking a winner of every single game, every over/under, because it provides a complete dataset for macroeconomic analysis, which can be shared with you, shedding light on what worked and what failed. I’m also tracking the results of betting every outcome, to help me (and you) uncover previously unknown or newly emerging profit vectors. Also, please bet responsibly.
 
If you’re looking for a big picture commentary of hockey betting (covering October 2019 to May 2022), you should check out my book; breaking it down by team, by category, by strategy, by season. There is plenty of useful information for bettors of all skill levels. It covers pre-pandemic, peak-pandemic, post-pandemic. What worked, what failed. Lessons learned, market trends, team-by-team analysis. What impact did the pandemic have on hockey betting? The market differences between these 3 seasons are discussed at length, and there's a lot to talk about. To read more, visit the Amazon store.
 
My 1st Round Profit: $1,084
 
All my picks for each series were laid out in my Round One Preview before opening night, going 5-3 on the series line, and 1-7 picking the winner in the correct number of games (though if the Rangers had won game seven, 2-6 would have been enough to turn a profit on $100 wagers). Had I bet $100 on each of those series lines, I would have made a paltry $12 of profit for a 1.5% rate of return. Whereas betting on the individual moneylines and pucklines produced a 12.2% return. It was much better betting the games than the series, at least for me.
 
Granted, it should be noted that my $1,000 of round one profit would have been a -$700 loss if not for the Vegas-Winnipeg series, especially post-Morrissey injury. Once that news hit the wire, I was “all in” on Vegas. But that also illustrates why it can be optimal to bet individual games rather than the series lines. The Jets were tempting prior to game one because they have a game-stealing goaltender and were reasonably healthy (we thought Ehlers would be back), but once the dominoes started to fall, Vegas was the clear choice.
 
It was an interesting first two nights in the opening round, as underdogs won 6 of the first 8 games. I correctly picked 4 of those upsets, though it was more a function of line value than believing in miracles. Some of the home teams were a little too favored to start the playoffs, that’s why I bet LA, Minnesota, Winnipeg, and the Rangers. My line value algorithm begged me to take Seattle, but my lack of faith in their goaltending overruled that recommendation (Grubauer went from an .895 SV% in the regular season to .926 in round one).
 
One of the big winners from the first week, or at least the first few days, was underdogs -1.5 goals, which came almost entirely from road dogs. There were some big road upsets in the first four nights, like Winnipeg +340, Florida +450, Seattle +380, Tampa +310, Rangers +290 and +275, etc. Road teams in general created a nice return in games ones and twos, and that momentum carried right through to the end of the round. Although nearly all the success of road dogs -1.5 goals was confined to the first week.

Round One Betting Results
 


My 3 Best Market Bets of Round 1:                  Overall Best Market Bets of Round 1:
 
1) Road moneyline: +$1,760                                  1) Road moneyline: +$1,694
2) Road ML zig zags: +$698                                  2) Road ML zig zags: +$962
3) Home favorites -1.5 goals: +$620                     3) Road underdogs -1.5 goals: +$780
 
My 3 Worst Market Bets of Round 1:               Overall Worst Market Bets of Round 1:
 
1) Home moneyline: -$1,096                                 1) Home moneyline: -$1,600
2) Favorites moneyline: -$700                               2) Favorites -1.5 goals: -$655
3) Unders: -$234                                                    3) Favorites +1.5 goals: -$499
 
My Best Teams To Bet On In Round 1:            Overall Best Teams To Bet On:
(over/under/hedges not included)                          ($100 ML + $100 PL+1.5 + $100 PL-1.5)
 
1) Vegas Golden Knights: +$1,721                       1) Florida Panthers: +$740
2) Dallas Stars: +$592                                           2) Vegas Golden Knights: +$598
3) Carolina Hurricanes: +$454                              3) Dallas Stars: +$485
 
My Worst Teams To Bet On In Round 1:         Market’s Best Over/under Bets in Round 1:
(over/under/hedges not included)                         ($100 wagers)
 
1) New York Rangers, -$510                                 1) Seattle-Colorado unders, +$423
2) Boston Bruins, -$398                                         2) Boston-Florida overs, +$338
3) Colorado Avalanche, -$320                               3) Vegas-Winnipeg overs, +$161
 
 
If you bet $100 on every road moneyline in the first round, you banked $1,694, which would have been $1,759 on the closing line, meaning a significant amount of public money was being laid on the home squads. Road moneyline was quite easily my best revenue generator, though I entered the first round expecting home favorites -1.5 goals to be my default selection due to a strong performance by that category in the last 2 playoffs. But that plan was scrapped in the first few nights of the playoffs when road dogs were surging.
 
If you read my Round One Preview then you are familiar with the concept of “zig zagging”. If you have not read it, I’ll wait a moment while you do. The loser of the previous game went 10-2 in the first 12 zig zag opportunities of round one. If you bet them -1.5 goals on the puckline (whether favorite or underdog), you did even better (but that was only because of that aforementioned one magical night). That level of success was not sustainable, and they were revenue neutral in the second week, with road teams generating +$400 on $100 wagers and home teams losing -$400.
 
If you bet $100 on every “zig zag” opportunity for the full first round, you made $962 from the road moneyline, and lost -$285 on the home moneyline. Problem was, when a home team is avenging defeat, their line price can get absurdly expensive. Florida and Seattle were two of the best at responding to losses, with the Panthers winning twice after losing as +205 and +200 underdogs. Seattle also had 2 wins after following losses. The worst team at responding to losses was Winnipeg (going 0-3), which I’m sure Rick Bowness would love to tell you all about.
 
Unders had a strong opening two nights, but overs moved into lead as more games were played. There was some fluky business going on there, as the Islanders-Hurricanes were tied 1-1 with less than 4 minutes to play, and it finished 5-1. I had the Isles moneyline, but had to stop my celebration when they wouldn’t stop scoring. Their arena was rocking and home fans were thrilled, but as the camera panned through the crowd, you could see that a few of the faithful had also bet the under. There was less enthusiasm by goal 5.
 
While overs did produce a nice profit for the first week of the playoffs, you could have done even better waiting until the closing line. If you bet $100 on every over for the first 6 days, you banked $422, but waiting until the closing line would have yielded $607. There was a lot of public money pouring in on the unders, which made sense to me as my algorithms were strongly pointing me in that direction as well. It seemed like the totals were being set artificially high, but the oddsmakers surely had artificial intelligence seeing something my simple equations could not.
 
Injuries always play a big role in the playoffs, and 2023 was no different, with star players like Patrice Bergeron, Victor Hedman, Josh Morrissey, and others missing time. There were several instances where you didn’t know who would be playing until the player was taking warm-ups, which adds a layer of difficulty for someone like me who is making all my picks 24-48 hours before games. Granted, in the long run that tends to even out. You might bet Boston before finding out Bergeron won’t play, but you may have also bet Toronto before getting confirmation on Hedman.
 
 
Dallas vs Minnesota:
 
My Total Profit: $460
Over/Under Profit: -$195
My Series Bet: Dallas -140  ü
My Exact Bet: Dallas in 7 games +400 û
 
My best series opening week was the Stars vs Wild, betting the correct outcome in their first 4 games while going 2-2 on their over/under. I bet the over in all four, and the two that lost only fell short by 0.5 goals. Unfortunately I continued that wager in the last 2 games, and both went under. The first three zig zag opportunities were a success, so I continued with that strategy for the remainder of the series, but it that was broken Dallas won the last 3 games. Nearly all of my $460 profit was solicited from game two, when I went big on all the home losers from game one.
 
It was a very physical battle with some brutal officiating. Jake Oettinger was outstanding, and that gives the Stars a big edge in the next round. Robertson-Hintz-Heiskanen-Oettinger is a force to be reckoned with, and the reason I decided to bet them to win round two before finding out who their opponent would be. Frankly it didn’t matter. Injuries did play a big role in this series, as Kaprizov clearly hadn’t completely healed from his injury, and they were without a valuable piece in Joel Eriksson Ek for 5 of 6.
 
 
Boston vs Florida:
 
My Total Profit: -$348
Over/Under Profit: -$45
My Series Bet: Boston -320  û
My Exact Bet: Boston in 6 games +380 û
 
The Boston Bruins were a record setting team this season, so they were undeniably my pick to win. The Panthers were also hot down the stretch, but the goaltending was a serious concern. However when Florida won game two convincingly 6-2, that seduced me into picking them at home in games three and four (the injuries to Patrice Bergeron and Linus Ullmark also played a factor) and the Bruins won both to take a 3-1 series lead. It looked locked up, then the Panthers won 3 consecutive games to knock the mighty Bruins out of the playoffs.
 
Overs went 5-1 in this series, but I picked the under 4 times, leading to a loss. Both teams had played in low scoring games near the end of the schedule, and I was mistakenly expecting Vezina-level goaltending from Linus Ullmark. After the 9 goals in game two, I stupidly doubled down on the under for game three, but saw the light and bet over for games 4, 5, 6 going 3-0. I followed the EBR rule and went back to the under for game seven, and it was a high scoring affair. I took the \over for game one of Toronto vs Florida (which missed by 1 goal).
 
 
Edmonton vs Los Angeles:
 
My Total Profit: $395
Over/Under Profit: -$158
My Series Bet: Edmonton -220  ü
My Exact Bet: Edmonton in 6 games +400 ü
 
The Edmonton Oilers were the NHL’s hottest team to close the season, leading to an inflated series betting line. My algorithms really wanted me to pick LA, but it’s hard to bet against a team that won 14 of their last 15 games. Well, the gap between the teams was closer than the lines implied, as the Kings jumped out to a 2-1 series lead, and a 3-0 lead in game four. Edmonton staged an impressive comeback, but very nearly fell behind 3-1 in the series, which is enormously difficult to overcome. They were the only team that I picked to win in the correct number of games.
 
It all came down to Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl being other worldly, but that’s also why their line prices were so expensive. I actually bet Los Angeles to win in 4 of the 6 games and made a decent profit for the series, just not when betting LA to win. My largest wager was game two Oilers moneyline and puckline after they lost game one. That was part of a greater home favorite zig zag strategy. I was a net loser on their over/under as overs went 5-2, but my algorithms got too wrapped up in unders and led me astray.
 
 
Carolina vs Islanders:
 
My Total Profit: $161
Over/Under Profit: -$333
My Series Bet: Carolina -190  ü
My Exact Bet: Carolina in 7 games +400 û
 
Carolina was my pick heading into this series, but for the first four games bet the home moneyline (going 3-1). The problem was, I also picked the under in all 4 of those games and overs inexplicably went 3-1. I had some concern after Teuvo Teravainen was lost to injury, as the Canes already had key pieces missing. Yet they managed to soldier through it, with some assistance from an anemic Islanders offense. In total I bet each team 3 times, picking the correct winner in 5 of the 6 games, but that was barely enough to pay for my losses on over/under.
 
It was not a victory that inspired me to take the Hurricanes in round two, I’m just hoping for some line value on their opponents (with the Devils being favored on the series line).  Ilya Sorokin did his part, as the Canes were held to 2 or less goals in 4 of 6 games, yet still prevailed in the series because of the Islanders inability to score. I bet the under in 5 of 6 games, but they went 3-3. There were some uncharacteristic scoring bursts from both teams in games two through five. So I’m going to chalk up my -$333 loss as a “bad beat” that wasn’t my fault. Those damned Islanders scored 4 goals in the last 3 minutes of game three.
 
 
Toronto vs Tampa Bay:
 
My Total Profit: -$625
Over/Under Profit: -$60
My Series Bet: Toronto -120  ü
My Exact Bet: Toronto in 7 games +425 û
 
The Tampa Bay Lightning were bad down the stretch, and had two key players (Cernak and Hedman) miss time to injury in this series. That’s why my money was on Toronto for the first 3 games, going 2-1. The Leafs took a 3-1 series lead, which birthed a new dilemma, given how outstanding Andrei Vasilevskiy has performed in elimination games the last few playoffs. The problem being, he was mostly bad in this series, as it was really looking like 3 consecutive trips to the Stanley Cup final and a busy workload in the regular season were finally catching up with him.
 
Tempting as the Vasilevskiy elimination games were, once the Leafs up 3-1 in the series, my money was on Toronto. Well Vasilevskiy was outstanding in game five, picking up a win in Toronto, returning home to Tampa with an opportunity to tie the series. That lured me to the Tampa side when they were at home for game six, and the buds knocked them out of the playoffs. Leaf fans can surely thank me for their series win, as they were all but guaranteed to lose had I bet Tampa in game six, since Toronto is demonstrably worse when I bet them to win.
 
 
Vegas vs Winnipeg:
 
My Total Profit: $1,721
Over/Under Profit: -$23
My Series Bet: Vegas -170  ü
My Exact Bet: Vegas in 7 games +400 û
 
The Jets managed to pull off a game one victory and had an impressive comeback to push game three to overtime before losing in O.T. Sadly for Jets fans, they lost Josh Morrissey for the series in that game, which they could not overcome. Vegas was my pick to win the series, but I did bet the Jets in 2 of the first 3 games based on “line value” and the possibility of Hellebuyck stealing any given game, but after the Morrissey injury, I was all-in on Vegas. 89% of my total profit came from the final 2 games, both moneyline and puckline.
 
It didn’t make much sense to me why the Vegas moneyline was -110 in game four with Morrissey out, but Winnipeg was at home with their backs up against the wall, so historically that has surely yielded some positive results (when a low seed is at home in game four down 2-1 having lost game three, they win 53%). That line hardly moved from open to close, so the public must have been betting the home team zig zag. It was also confusing how the Knights were only -155 favorites in game five (including +170 on the puckline -1.5 goals) Evidently the public agreed with me, as the line moved all the way -195 by puck drop. Vegas won the last two games by a combined score of 8-3. Easy money.
 
 
New Jersey vs Rangers:
 
My Total Profit: -$539
Over/Under Profit: $221
My Series Bet: New York +100  û
My Exact Bet: New York in 7 games +550 û
 
Betting the New Jersey Devils to win was one of my most profitable wagers this season, so it brought me no satisfaction picking the Rangers to win the series. The difference maker that could not be overlooked was in goal, with Igor Shesterkin being vastly superior to Vitek Vanecek. In the first 2 games, Vanecek gave up 9 goals, Shesterkin 2, as the Rangers took a 2-0 series lead. Then the Devils went on the road, put rookie Akira Schmid in the net, and the kid delivered three outstanding performances to take a 3-2 series lead.
 
The Rangers did manage to force game seven, which had they won would have cashed my Rangers in 7 wager at +550. But Akira Schmid pitched another shutout, outdueling Shesterkin in a do or die scenario. In 5 games Schmid posted a .951 SV%, and has now moved into the top 5 for Conn Smythe odds. Had the Swiss puck-stopper not swooped in like a Superman to save the day, and Vanecek continued to flounder, this would have been a profitable series for me. Had the Rangers won game seven, cashing my +550 NYR in 7 bet, it could have erased all my losses game-by-game.
 
 
Colorado vs Seattle:
 
My Total Profit: $435
Over/Under Profit: $395
My Series Bet: Colorado -260  û
My Exact Bet: Colorado in 6 games +400 û
 
My lack of faith in Seattle goaltending encouraged me to go big on Colorado as this series began, and was stunned as Seattle won the first 1.5 games. They jumped out to an early lead in game two, which I lamented on Twitter that my Colorado bet was a loser, and the reverse jinx attempt was the difference maker. Then once again in game four, the Kraken jumped out to a 2 goal lead in the first period, but that time hung on to win. The same thing happened in game five, as Seattle jumped out to a 3-2 series lead, putting the defending champs in a “do or die” situation.
 
I only bet Seattle twice in this series, but hit big on both as +180 road dogs. Including game seven. It didn’t make sense to me why Seattle and Florida were +180 and +190 underdogs respectively for G7 when they were clearly good enough to push their series to the max number of games. Yes Colorado and Boston were at the top of the Stanley Cup probability leaderboard, their series had been much closer than the line suggested. Unders went 6-1, with me picking the under in 6 of the games, helping make this my third most profitable series despite being wrong about Colorado winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment