I have crafted my all-star team of players who will be making under $1 million dollars in the NHL next season. Sorry to those free agents who have not yet signed your contracts as of July 13th, you will not be eligible for my Under $1M All-Stars. This team includes 20 players, 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies.Only 1 player is over the age of 27, and only 5 were drafted in the first round (all five of those after pick 23). It is very unlikely that this team would be competitive in the playoffs, but they might challenge for a playoff spot if this group of players were assembled on the same squad. Salaries are based on cap hit according to Capgeek.com.
1) Derek Stepan, NYR: 82 GP, 45 PTS
2) Frans Nielsen, NYI: 71 GP, 44 PTS, Top rate penalty killer.
3) Darren Helm, Det: The next Kris Draper.
4) Marcus Johansson, Wsh: 69 GP, 27 PTS, Could have big season if paired with Ovechkin.
1) Jamie Benn, Dal: 69 GP, 56 PTS, The reigning scoring champ on $1M team.
2) Tyler Ennis, Buf: 82 GP, 49 PTS
3) Anthony Stewart, Car: 80 GP, 39 PTS, Thought he'd have been useful in Winnipeg.
4) Bryan Bickell, Chi: 78 GP, 37 PTS, This $540K contract is a steal for 2 more years!
5) Niclas Berfors, Nsh: 72 GP, 37 PTS
6) Brandon Prust, NYR: 82 GP, 27 PTS, 160 PIMS, Strong penalty killer.
7) Linus Omark, Edm: 51 GP, 27 PTS, Shootout specialist
8) Matt Calvert, Clb: 42 GP, 20 PTS, Kid might have a future.
1) PK Subban, Mtl: 77 GP, 38 PTS, Among the best valued contracts next season.
2) John Carlson, Wsh: 82 GP, 37 PTS, Due for a big raise next year.
3) Cody Franson, Tor: 80 GP, 29 PTS, Theory that Nsh was shedding salary doesn't hold.
4) Andrew MacDonald, NYI: 60 GP, 27 PTS
5) Jamie McBain, Car: 76 GP, 30 PTS
6) Ben Lovejoy, Pit: Logged some valuable late season shifts on my champion fantasy hockey team.
1) Cory Schneider, Van: 25 GP, 2.23 GAA, .929 SPCT
2) Anders Lindback, Nsh: He could be the starter on a few NHL teams, but is stuck sitting on the bench watching Pekka Rhinne play.